13 Ramblers enjoyed our evening walk, which was an exploration of Cirencester’s 1940’s defences starting from the Air Raid Shelter and 1940’s Museum in Sheep Street. The walk included sites connected with the Home Guard, the Air Raid Wardens, London evacuees and wartime manufacturing.

Norman Arch entrance to The Abbey Grounds.

Close by there were concrete blocks to be used by the Home Guard during the war to help defend against tanks entering the town.

This historical walk also looked at Cirencester’s Roman defences

The Wilts and Gloucester Standard office in Dyer Street. To the right during the war was The Bull pub, (the pub sign bracket is still visible).
Here the Land Lord, Mr. Cole, bred homing pigeons that were used by the RAF. There was also manufacturing for the war effort at a garage in Dyer Street.
