Cirencester Ramblers

On Bank Holiday Monday 26th August, 17 members left Stroud Leisure Centre Car Park for a 7 mile walk. Walking through Pagan Hill housing estate they came out on a road opposite the Slavery Arch and Plaque. (The Arch is only memorial of its kind left in Britain to state the Abolition of Slavery. Built in 1834 as the grand entrance to Georgian mansion, Farmhill Park,  by Henry Wyatt 1793 -1847, a wealthy local businessman.)

The route reached fields and continued along the valley and up the hillside to Bread Street. Still going uphill with Ocker Hill and Randwick in the foreground, they walked along the top with fine views (bit of a heat haze today) where they stopped for lunch. Walking along the top they took a left down to the Cotswold Way, passing a large plantation of vines near Doverow Hill , until eventually coming out on the Stroud Canal.

On the canal they passed restored locks, with one being worked on today, (men getting sludge out from the bottom with buckets and ropes). They also passed a factory that still makes the Green Baize used on Snooker Tables and Yellow covering for tennis balls for the whole country. Once at the end of canal they continued towards Stonehouse and then under the railway bridge, through Stratford Park to the cars.

 

 
The Anti Slavery Arch
 
Wide ranging views and frisky cattle
 
An ancient oak and modern vines add to the variety
 
 
 A mixture of countryside and Stroud's Industrial past on the canal
 
Refreshment stop on the canal
 
 
Plenty of information is provided along the canal